Monday, December 8, 2014

Day 332, December 8


If we are not happy and joyous at this season,
for what other season shall we wait and
for what other time shall we look? ~Abdul-Baha

I believe the above can be taken in several ways.  "This season" can refer to the Christmas season, which is upon us.  It can also refer to the current season of our lives.

I tell myself that surely I can be happy at this season of the year, when we celebrate the birth of the Savior.  If I could only keep that at the top of my mind, rather than allowing it to be pushed aside by other things, I would do far better.  Unfortunately, I let other stuff clutter up my thoughts:  Will I get my package mailed to my far-away son and his family in time?  Have I bought gifts for everyone on my list?  Is the house clean enough?  And so it goes.

And what about my season in life?  A few days ago, my husband and I took our cat Harley to the veternarian.  A chart showed Harley's age in "people years."  It turns out that Harley and I are about the same age, which was listed as "geriatric."  Both Harley and I were offended at the classification.  But there it was.  So I'm at the geriatric season of my life ... it is both humbling and freeing.  Humbling in that I have to accept that I can't do some things as well as I once did.  Freeing in that I realize I'm pretty much beyond living up to the expectations of others.  If I don't decorate my house for Christmas, it's okay.  If I choose to eat cold pizza for breakfast, it's okay.  If I send goofy, even naughty, cards to my friends, it's okay again.

Joy for today:   being happy at this season, the holiday season and my season, geriatric as it is.



1 comment:

  1. I don't classify you as "geriatric". You are still young enough my friend.

    ReplyDelete