Sunday, November 16, 2014

Day 310, November 16


A human being is part of the whole, called by us "universe," a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, has thoughts and feelings, as something separate from the rest-- a kind of optical delusion of consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty. ~ Albert Einstein

Einstein's words came as an indictment for me.  He's right--I have imprisoned myself in my care and love for "a few persons nearest" to me.  I need to broaden that.

Our area has been hit hard by what the meterologists are referring to as a polar vortex.  In a word, it's cold.  It's really, really cold.  And this from a woman who runs consistently hot!

Lately my prayers have included those who don't have shelter or heat or warm clothes.  In particular, I pray for the small creatures who are without shelter and warmth and ask for the Lord to soften the hearts of those responsible for them.

So, maybe, just maybe, my heart is trying to expand, to free itself from its self-imposed prison.

Joy for today:  widening my circle of compassion.

No comments:

Post a Comment