Monday, September 15, 2014

Day 248, September 15

"Honor is the capacity to confer respect to another individual.  We become honorable when our capacities for respect are expressed and strengthened.  The term respect comes from the Latin word respicere, which means 'the willingness to look again.'"--Angeles Arrien

When I came across this quote, I knew immediately that it would have to go in the blog.  I love this definition of honor.  Would not our world be a better place if we all treated each other honorably?  If that sounds naive, I apologize.  But, as I look around at families, communities, churches, towns, the nation, indeed, the entire world, I too frequently see a lack of honor, a lack of respect.

Does the person who does not repay a loan have honor?
Does the child who steals from his parents have honor?
Does the employee who shorts his employers in his work have honor?
Does the nation which invades another nation, enslaving the conquered people have honor?

Of course, the answer to each of these is no.

Joy for today:  living honorably.




No comments:

Post a Comment