Friday, September 12, 2014

Day 245, September 12

"If people knew how hard I worked to get my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful after all."--Michelangelo

Have you ever said, "I'd give anything to be able to write (sing, play the piano, paint, sculpt, etc) like he does?"

I have.  I've said it about nearly all of those things--writing, singing, playing the piano, painting, sculpting, and the etc-ing.  You know what?  I was lying.  Because I wouldn't give anything to do those things.  I wouldn't give the time and effort and energy and just plain hard work to gain the mastery that others have achieved in their chosen areas.

I have a friend who plays the piano and other instruments beautifully.  I peck at the piano, but I don't practice it as I should if I wanted to have mastery of it.  I have tried painting and decided I was a no-hoper there, so I stopped trying.  And so it goes.

For most of us, mastery doesn't come from genius, but from hard work. It's when we are willing to put in the work, the sweat, the time, that we achieve true mastery.

Joy for today:  working.




No comments:

Post a Comment