Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Day 242, September 9

Yesterday I mused about becoming.  Sometimes in my prayers, I say something like "Please help me become kinder."  Or, "please help me become less judgmental."  And so on.

The trouble is, as I mentioned in yesterday's post, I don't want to do the work to become.  I just want to be. The writer in me recognizes that the word "be" is a passive word, while the word "come" is an active one.  If I "come," I am in motion.  If I "be," I am stationary.   That same writer knows that using an active word is just about always better than using a passive one.

So there I am.  Stuck between passive and active, between being and becoming.  Being doesn't take much thinking.  I can lie around like third base.  Becoming, however, takes some thought and some doing.  Becoming takes wanting to be more than I am.  Becoming takes wanting to be what the Savior wants.

Joy for today:  wanting to become.

No comments:

Post a Comment