Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Day 236, September 3

Last Sunday at church, the teacher spoke about "good, better, best."  You know the motto:  don't let the "good" get in the way of the "best."

I have been guilty of that many times.  I justify myself by saying, "Well, this is a good thing.  I should be doing it."  But it was not the best use of my time, talents, or energy.  Then I wonder how much time, talents, and energy I have squandered on things that don't even classify as good: the television shows that are questionable at best, the books that were only so-so, the activities that served no useful purpose.

What will the Father say to me when I pass from this life to the next?  Could it be, "Well, Jane, you did some good things.  Too bad that you didn't do more things that are best."

That is not acceptable.

Joy for today:  spending more time, talent, and energy on the best rather than the good.

1 comment:

  1. I don't remember which General Authority gave the talk about good, better and best but it was one of the most memorable talks ever. He really hit the nail on the head. Although, I'm often quick to just be doing good things, not the best things.

    ReplyDelete