Sunday, July 6, 2014

Day 187, July 6



“That which we persist in doing becomes easier to do; not that the nature of the thing has changed, but our capacity to do has increased.”  

President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Heber J. Grant was fond of quoting the above.

Heber's life wasn't always easy.  Like most of us, he faced challenges, as a child and then as an adult.  As a boy, he wanted to play baseball for the team that would play in the Utah Territorial Championship.  However, none of the other boys wanted Heber on the team because he couldn't throw a ball from one base to another.  (He sounds like me!)

Heber determined that he would make the team.  First, he got a job and saved his money until he could buy his own baseball.  Then he practiced, throwing the ball against the barn door over and over.
He made the team and the team went on to win games all over the western United States.

I love this story about President Grant.  I love the example of persistence and determination he showed.  It gives me strength when I fear I can't do something and reminds me to keep going, to take one more step.

Joy for today:   keeping on keeping on.


No comments:

Post a Comment